A Law Firm That Gets Results
Devoted to Family Law and Criminal Defense Throughout the Houston Area
H. Michelle Rice
Michelle Rice was born and raised in Borger, a tiny town in the Texas panhandle. After high school, she attended Texas A&M University, where she was involved in Student Government, and spent a semester studying abroad in Italy. Michelle graduate Cum Laude with a degree in Political Science, before attending Law School at the University of Houston Law Center.
During her time in law school, Michelle worked for a variety of governmental agencies, including the Harris County Public Defender’s Office, The Children’s Assessment Center, and the Federal Public Defender’s Office for the Southern District of Texas. These experiences taught her that the courtroom is the where she wanted to be, and encouraged Michelle to pursue litigation. Michelle graduated in the top 35% of her class, while also winning the Bob Vela Award for Best Paper in Criminal Law.
Following law school, Michelle began working as an Assistant Public Defender in Bee County, handling cases ranging from misdemeanor DWIs to all varieties of felonies. She has tried both bench and jury trials, as well as negotiating favorable outcomes for her clients. As a criminal defense attorney in the Public Defender’s office, Michelle had helped people through some of the worst times of their life. She cares for her clients while at the same time aggressively fights for them inside the courtroom and out which makes her a great fit at Scott M. Brown & Associates. Michelle handles all aspects of criminal defense and family law, including divorces, child custody and child support cases, modifications, paternity actions, adoptions, and suits involving Children’s Protective Services (CPS).
Michelle’s desire to help people drove her to the legal profession, and she believes that criminal and family law are two areas of the law where she can help make a difference in people’s lives. She listens to her clients, and strives to not only understand what their goals are, but to fully explain the steps to reach those goals.
In her free time, Michelle enjoys attending Houston Dynamo and Dash games, volunteering at the Houston Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and spending time with friends and family.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- Family Law
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Paternity Actions
- Texas, 2014
- University of Houston Law Center, Houston, Texas
- Juris Doctor – May, 2014
- Honors: GPA: 3.258; Class Standing: Top 35%
- Honors: Bob Vela Award for Best Paper in Criminal Law
- Honors: American Civil Liberties Union, Events Coordinator
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- B.A. cum laude – May, 2011
- Honors: GPA: 3.651
- Major: Political Science
- Minor: English
- Texas A&M Santa Chiara Study Center, Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy – 2010
- Advanced Criminal Law Seminar, TCDLA Trial College
Past Employment Positions
- Bee County Regional Public Defender, Beeville Texas, Assistant Public Defender, 2014 – 2016
- Berg and Androphy, Houston, Texas, Contract Attorney, 2014
- Bires, Schaffer, and DeBorde, Houston, Texas, Law Clerk, 2013 – 2014
- Harris County Public Defender, Houston Texas, Intern, 2012 – 2013
- Federal Public defender, Houston, Texas, Summer Intern, 2012
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer, HSPCA