What should I do if I’m a victim of domestic violence?

When you have been subjected to abuse by someone you love, you might go back and forth about how you should handle the situation. You might want to give the person a chance to change. Sadly, that might not happen. In Texas, there are several things you can do to keep yourself protected against an abusive spouse. Knowing about some of these might help you to make an informed decision about how to proceed.

What should I do first if I’m abused?

Calling the police department using the 911 system is one thing you can do. If there is a history of domestic violence in your home, you should find a safe place to go. Keeping a small bag with vital items like your identification and cash might help you to get out in a hurry if necessary. There are domestic violence shelters that can help you with shelter if you aren’t safe at home.

How can I stop my abuser from abusing me?

You can petition the court for a protective order. As we discussed in last week’s post, you can get a temporary order that will help you to remain safe until the permanent order is issued by the court. These orders give you the legal basis you need to stop your abuser from coming near you. They will even help you to stay protected at work.

Leaving an abusive relationship isn’t easy, especially if you are married to your abuser. Despite that difficulty, it is often necessary for victims to leave to keep themselves protected from harm. Taking the steps necessary to get to a safe place and remain safe can help you on your quest to lead a normal life.

Source: FindLaw, “How to Stop Domestic Violence” Oct. 29, 2014

Share this Post!
Texas Family Law Attorney

Call Us Today!

(979) 652-5246