Skilled Galveston Criminal Defense Attorneys
Theft charges are no minor matter in Texas. The mere accusation is enough to ruin your reputation, while a conviction could result in a jail sentence. At Scott M. Brown & Associates, our Galveston criminal lawyers provide the aggressive, highly effective legal representation you need in these situations. The best defense begins early, so do not hesitate. Get our experienced legal team hard at work on your case.
Under Section 31.03 of the Texas Penal Code, theft is defined as taking or appropriating property belonging to another without permission or their consent. Theft crimes vary from misdemeanor to felony charges, with penalties based on the value of the money, assets, goods, or services you are accused of having taken. Penalties include:
- Property valued at $2,500 or less: These crimes are classified as misdemeanors, involving fines up to $4,000 and up to one year in jail.
- Property valued up to $30,000: This is classified as a state jail felony, carrying a maximum jail sentence of up to two years and up to $10,000 in fines.
- Property valued up to $150,000: This is a third degree felony, with a maximum ten year prison sentence, along with a $10,000 fine.
- Property valued up to $300,000: This is a second degree felony. Along with fines, you could face a maximum 20 year prison sentence;
- Property valued at $300,000 or more: This is a first degree felony, the most serious type of charge. Along with fines, penalties include the possibility of a life sentence.
Need legal help in Texas?
Be it family law, divorce, criminal defense, or personal injury — our Texas family law attorneys are here to help. We are results-driven, and we work tirelessly for our clients.
Our Houston family law and divorce attorneys have been providing compassionate and personalized legal services in Texas. Scott M. Brown is a certified family law specialist by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Depending on the circumstances surrounding your charges, you could be placed under immediate arrest or a warrant could be issued. Other than the most minor cases, theft crimes are generally prosecuted through the Galveston County Criminal Court. If you are arrested, you need an experienced criminal defense lawyer to begin working immediately on your case.
At Scott M. Brown & Associates, our Galveston theft crimes lawyers can help during arraignment, which is when you appear before a judge to enter a plea and the possibility of bail is raised. Along with helping to ensure you remain out of jail while you await trial, we can advise you on the right plea to enter in your case. Steps we take on your behalf include:
- Fighting to get your charges dropped or reduced at preliminary hearings;
- Gathering evidence and witness statements in support of your defense;
- Protecting your rights and advising you on any plea agreements offered;
- Effectively arguing your case at trial before a judge and jury.
In addition to fines and a potential jail sentence, a criminal conviction on theft charges will result in a criminal record. This could impact your ability to get a job, to work in your chosen field, or even to obtain housing and loans. Get the aggressive legal representation you need to protect your rights and freedoms. Call or contact Scott M. Brown & Associates to request a consultation with our Galveston criminal defense lawyers today.