Passionate Criminal Defense Lawyers Serving League City
Getting into a physical altercation with someone in League City, Texas can have potentially severe consequences. If the other person claims to have suffered serious injuries or if there was a weapon allegedly involved, you could be facing charges of aggravated assault. At Scott M. Brown & Associates, our League City criminal defense lawyers provide experienced legal representation to defend you against these charges, which carry a potentially lengthy prison sentence.
Aggravated Assault Charges Under Texas Law
Assault charges are a serious matter in Texas, and can arise out of any hostile encounter you have with another individual or group of people. When these types of altercation involve serious bodily injury or the use of a potentially deadly weapon, they rise to the level of aggravated assault.
Under Section 22.02 of the Texas Penal Code, aggravated assault is classified as a second degree felony, which carries a possible prison sentence of up to 20 years. It may be classified as a more serious first degree felony if it occurs in the following circumstances:
- If the alleged victim is a spouse, child, or other family member;
- If it is committed by or against a public servant acting in their official capacity;
- If it is in retaliation against a witness or someone who reported a crime;
- If it involves a driver who used a gun to shoot at or in the direction of other motorists or pedestrians.
Penalties for a first degree felony in Texas include up to 99 years imprisonment. When dealing with aggravated assault charges, it is also important to be aware of what constitutes a ‘deadly weapon’. This includes firearms, as well as knives, metal pipes, a baseball bat, or any other object capable of causing serious harm or potential death. Even if the weapon was not actually used on the victim, if it was on your person or displayed it could be grounds for the police to charge you with aggravated assault.
Need legal help in Texas?
Be it family law, divorce, criminal defense, or personal injury — our Texas family law attorneys are here to help. We are results-driven, and we work tirelessly for our clients.
Our Houston family law and divorce attorneys have been providing compassionate and personalized legal services in Texas. Scott M. Brown is a certified family law specialist by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
A Strong Legal Defense Against Aggravated Assault Charges In League City, Texas
When facing serious criminal charges that have the potential to jeopardize your freedom, you need an experienced League City criminal defense lawyer to begin immediately working on your case. Aggravated assault charges are tried through the Harris County Criminal Courts. At Scott M. Brown & Associates, our legal team fights for your rights throughout each step of the legal process, which includes:
- Appearing at your arraignment and arranging for bail and bond hearings;
- Disputing the evidence against you in preliminary hearings, with the goal of getting your charges dropped or reduced;
- Filing pretrial motions to uncover and examine any evidence and testimony against you;
- Subpoenaing witnesses and gathering evidence to build a strong legal defense;
- Aggressively pleading your case at trial and in front of a judge and jury.
Reach Out to Our League City Criminal Defense Attorneys
When dealing with aggravated assault charges In League City and the potential for a lengthy prison sentence, you need a tough, tenacious Texas criminal defense lawyer on your side. Contact Scott M. Brown & Associates and request a consultation to discuss how we can help you today.