Experienced Assault Lawyers Serving League City
Simple assault may sound minor, but it is a serious criminal matter that can leave you with a criminal record. In addition to impacting your reputation and ability to work in certain fields, these charges can also result in heavy fines and a potential jail sentence. At Scott M. Brown & Associates, our League City criminal defense lawyers are here to help you avoid these types of penalties. We provide the kind of tough, tenacious legal representation you need to help ensure your rights and personal freedoms are protected.
When facing criminal charges that have the potential to disrupt every area of your life, the best defense is an early one. From the minute you are arrested or even under suspicion of having committed a crime, you need an experienced criminal defense lawyer on your side, looking out for your interests.
At Scott M. Brown & Associates, we take simple assault allegations seriously, knowing that charges and a conviction could result in a potential jail sentence. Under Section 22.01 of the Texas Penal Code, charges of simple assault are broad and include any of the following acts:
- Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causing to another person;
- Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly threatening to cause another person bodily harm;
- Intentionally or knowingly engaging in physical contact with another when you know or should have known the contact would be deemed as provocative or offensive.
Under the state code, simple assault can arise out of verbal confrontations or shoving matches in public places, such as at shopping malls or grocery stores, restaurants and taverns, and at sports or other recreational events. They can also occur while driving or in your home, involving friends and family members.
Need legal help in Texas?
Be it family law, divorce, criminal defense, or personal injury — our Texas family law attorneys are here to help. We are results-driven, and we work tirelessly for our clients.
Our Houston family law and divorce attorneys have been providing compassionate and personalized legal services in Texas. Scott M. Brown is a certified family law specialist by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Simple assaults that involve allegations of actual injuries are handled through the Galveston County Criminal Court. Generally classified as a Class A misdemeanor, a conviction could result in fines up to $4,000 and/or up to a one year jail sentence. However, depending on the situation and the person you are accused of assaulting, simple assault could result in felony charges. This includes the following situations:
- When committed against a spouse, child, or other household member;
- When you have a criminal record with prior convictions for simple assault;
- When the person you are accused of assaulting is a public official or civil servant performing duties related to their job;
- When it involves an elderly or disabled person;
- When it is in retaliation for witness testimony or against someone who reported a crime.
Possible penalties you could face for a felony conviction of simple assault include fines of up to $10,000 and up to ten years in state prison.
When dealing with simple assault charges that jeopardize your freedom and financial security, you need a strong and highly experienced League City criminal defense lawyer on your side. Reach out and contact Scott M. Brown & Associates today to request a consultation to discuss the best course of defense in your particular case.