Dedicated Criminal Defense Lawyers in League City
Being charged with a crime can happen to anyone and requires a strong legal defense to protect against severe penalties. In League City, Texas, charges for theft can be particularly damaging, with the potential to ruin your reputation while leaving you to face heavy fines and the possibility of a lengthy jail sentence. At Scott M. Brown & Associates, our League City criminal lawyers provide the aggressive representation you need in these situations. We act as a strong legal advocate on your side, defending you against these charges and the penalties associated with a criminal conviction.
Under Section 31.03 of the Texas Penal Code, you can face criminal charges of theft for taking the property of another without their consent or for taking possession of property which you know to be stolen. ‘Property’ refers to real estate and personal belongings, money, goods, or other assets, as well as a variety of services. The type of theft charges you face depend on the value of the property stolen.
While misdemeanors are considered more ‘minor’ charges, the potential penalties are still severe:
- For property valued at up to $750, you could face a maximum 180 days in jail and/or fines up to $2,000.
- For property valued up to $2,500, you could face a maximum jail sentence of up to one year and/or fines of up to $4,000.
Need legal help in Texas?
Be it family law, divorce, criminal defense, or personal injury — our Texas family law attorneys are here to help. We are results-driven, and we work tirelessly for our clients.
Our Houston family law and divorce attorneys have been providing compassionate and personalized legal services in Texas. Scott M. Brown is a certified family law specialist by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
These are more serious charges, which involve fines of up to $10,000 along with potentially lengthy prison sentences upon conviction:
- For property valued at up to $30,000: This is classified as a state jail felony, carrying a maximum jail sentence of up to two years;
- For property valued up to $150,000 or more: This is considered a third degree felony, with a maximum ten year prison sentence;
- For property valued up to $300,000: This is considered a second degree felony, with a maximum 20 year prison sentence;
- For property valued at $300,000 or more: This is a first degree felony, with a potential sentence of up to 99 years imprisonment.
At Scott M. Brown & Associates, our League City criminal defense lawyers work hard to protect you against a criminal conviction. Our legal team has years of experience in representing clients in cases involving the Galveston County Criminal Court system and can help strategize the best course of action in your particular case:
- By gathering evidence, subpoenaing witnesses, and talking with law enforcement officials and the prosecuting attorney assigned to your case, we may be able to negotiate to get your charges dropped or reduced.
- If a reasonable agreement cannot be negotiated, our legal team consists of highly trained and capable Texas trial lawyers who will not hesitate to tenaciously fight on your behalf before a judge or jury.
With so much at stake, you need an experienced professional you can trust defending you and protecting your freedoms. Call or contact our League City criminal defense lawyers online today to see how we can assist you.