Marijuana use continues to be illegal in Texas and possession of any amount is a crime that could result in potentially serious penalties.
While many states have legalized marijuana for medicinal or even recreational use, Texas continues to take a strong stance against it. At Scott M. Brown & Associates, we protect those caught in possession of marijuana against the serious legal ramifications they face. If you are facing these types of criminal charges, get our experienced Pearland, TX marijuana possession attorneys on your side.
A Strong Legal Defense for Marijuana Possession Charges
Medical marijuana laws have passed throughout the country. In addition to medicinal use, the National Conference of State Legislators (NCSL) reports that nearly a dozen states have legalized recreational marijuana use, as well. With all of the changes taking place, it is easy to get confused. Make no mistake — marijuana continues to be illegal in Texas.
Possession of even a small amount of marijuana can result in serious criminal charges. At Scott M. Brown & Associates, we provide aggressive legal representation to protect you in this situation. As professional Pearland, TX marijuana possession attorneys, we can take the following actions on your behalf:
- Reviewing the circumstances surrounding your arrest;
- Conducting our own investigations to build a strong legal defense;
- Negotiating with law enforcement and prosecuting attorneys to have your charges dropped or reduced;
- Arranging for pretrial diversion programs to help you avoid a criminal record and the potentially harsh penalties you face.
Need legal help in Texas?
Be it family law, divorce, criminal defense, or personal injury — our Texas family law attorneys are here to help. We are results-driven, and we work tirelessly for our clients.
Our Houston family law and divorce attorneys have been providing compassionate and personalized legal services in Texas. Scott M. Brown is a certified family law specialist by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Protection Against Marijuana Possession Penalties
Under the Texas Health and Safety Code, marijuana is classified as a Schedule I drug, with no medicinal uses and a high potential for abuse. While hemp derived substances, such as CBD oils, are legally available, they have a of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) level of less than 0.03%. THC is the chemical that causes the ‘high’ marijuana users experience. Anything over 0.3% is illegal and likely to result in criminal charges.
As experienced Pearland, TX marijuana possession attorneys, we take these charges seriously and so should you. While possession of two ounces or less of marijuana is considered a misdemeanor, you can still face fines of up to $2,000 and up to a 180-day jail sentence. The larger the amount of marijuana in your possession, the more severe the penalties you face:
- Between two and four ounces: This is a Class A misdemeanor, which could result in fines of up to $4,000 and up to a one-year jail sentence.
- Over four ounces but less than five pounds: As a state jail felony, you could face fines of up to $10,000 and up to two years in prison.
- Over five pounds: As felony charges, these involve fines of up to $50,000 and up to a 20-year or more prison sentence.
Reach Out to Our Pearland, TX Marijuana Defense Attorneys
Do not downplay marijuana possession charges or gamble with your freedom. Get our team at Scott M. Brown & Associates on your side. To request a consultation, reach out and contact our Pearland marijuana possession attorneys today.